Thursday, June 11, 2009

On the road again...

Today we left our home and friends in Arizona and made the four hour drive back to New Mexico. We're staying at the Mission tonight instead of at the church because here we have beds and running water and bathrooms and internet. :) A good choice.

The last couple of days have been really great. The team left Tuesday morning and we spent the day cleaning and getting everything back to normal. I had invited the entire family over for fry bread and burgers and it turned out to be more than I had signed up for. Molly had just left for the Grand Canyon to visit her twin sister, and Kristy had just left to fly back to Washington, so it was just Chris and I and boy did those people eat. It was interesting doing all the cooking and cleaning and eating all at once and trying to keep everything clean that we had just worked all day to get that way. It turned out fine and it was a great time to spend with everyone. To me, that's always worth it. Felix made more jokes about Staniel. OH WAIT- I haven't talked about STANIEL!!! haha oh heavens....how do I start this. Mom---hold your breath.

Staniel is Sarah's (pastor's wife) older sister's son. So, her nephew. He's 26 and a couple of years ago (I actually have no idea when) his wife ran off with another man. They have a daughter that he sees once a month. The one time I spoke to him this is what he told me. Upon first meeting him, he was a bit reserved, quiet, and when he spoke of his ex-wife, rather sad. Anyway, that night at dinner one of the women were joking about me and all my boyfriends and I said "Yeah, I came to the Rez to find a husband!" And Felix said "How about Staniel!" So all night they joked about that and he didn't hear about it until he was about to leave and Grandma (the family matriarch) heard about this and jumped up and I thought she was going to have a heart attack at the prospect of having a white girl in her family, but they told me she was telling him to come back and talk to me. haha So I played it up and waved all sweetly and said "hagooonneeee!"- everyone died laughing. :) So ever since then, Felix has been very serious about it and asked me what I thought of him and everything. Very funny. He's quite attractive and they say he is brilliant and has a great job as some type of engineer. Thankfully we left Arizona before it could get too out of hand! haha

We had dinner with Felix and Rachel last night (Rachel is Sarah's youngest sister). They made us a traditional Navajo meal of soup with mutton, dumplings, and potatoes. And fry bread of course. It was wonderful. I love being with those two. They are so open and easy to talk to. And Felix is always getting into some deep Spiritual conversation asking what we think and it's always very thought provoking.

Tonight we loaded the van with all the supplies for Tokoi and Twin Pines and tomorrow we head out to Tokoi to meet up with the pastor Herman Harrison and try to set up some work sites for our next team. They come Monday so we've only got a couple days to get a lot done. And things on the Rez definitely work on Rez time. If he says he'll meet us at 8am, he means any time before dinner. Let's hope for 8 though. :)

More soon, I hope.
Hagoone!
Laura Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment