Monday, July 13, 2009

Back Home...well my 2nd home at least...

We’re back in Arizona! Finally!!!!! I missed this place so stinkin much. Last week was our first and only week in Twin Pines. So last Saturday, on July 4th of all days, we packed up in Toko’i, and headed to the other side of Farmington to get to our new site. When we got there a bunch of people were at the church shooting fireworks. That made me VERY happy. I LOVE fireworks. ☺ I had been so depressed all weekend because the whole family in AZ was heading to the Apache Rez to visit their family there and go camping. And of course, we had a team and couldn’t leave. The pastors at the new church, Harry and Blanche Domingo, couldn’t be more opposite from Herman and Marie in Toko’i. They were so welcoming and hospitable and loving. I couldn’t have asked for more from them. They tried so hard to help us and even opened their homes for us and the team to shower so we wouldn’t have to build showers. The team, on the other hand, was our most….challengeing… yet. We quickly found out that most of their parents made them come, and the team was leaving a day early so they could drive over to Anaheim and go to Disneyland. So there were a lot of tainted motives to be there. From the first night the students, 15-year-olds mind you, were swearing and talking about drinking and sex. Even the leaders wouldn’t follow the dress code- the first night, one of the girl leaders who was 22, came out to brush her teeth in shorts that looked more like underwear and a spaghetti strap tank top and none of the boys were wearing shirts. And that was just the first day. I really had to lean on the Lord and remember that they deserved just as much of my heart as last week’s team did. They complained less as the days passed and we just prayed that maybe this week could be a seed planted. So they left this past Friday and we drove back here to AZ and dropped off our van and headed to the GRAND CANYON. We camped overnight (illegally because all the campsites were “full”) and got up to watch the sunrise. It was so great. Molly’s boyfriend Joel and his brother Cody had come to visit and went with us. They all hiked down the canyon and I hiked around the rim, going to the ruins, museum, watchtower, and trading post. It was a great relaxing day. So we got back here Saturday and started getting ready for the week. Seeing everyone in church yesterday morning was like the highlight of my life. Everyone back together again!! I sat with Felix and Rachel (my friend that gave me her necklace and barrette)- they are probably the ones I am closest to in the family. Then we drove to Page to get groceries for the week and hurried back for one of the girl’s birthday party. It was incredible to be with the family again. Now I gotta get ready for the team to be here- lot's to do!

Blessings,
Laura Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment