Monday, June 8, 2009

Rat Race: Round One

I’m not even sure how to begin this post. So much has happened. The team of 38 middle schoolers leaves tomorrow, and surprisingly, I will be sad to see them go.

We got here last Tuesday night and met up with Kristy, who is indescribably amazing. She has helped us from the first minute getting acquainted to the place. Wednesday night we went to Grandma and Grandpa Tate’s house, which are the pastor’s wife Sarah’s parents. Got it? Sarah has 8 other siblings and every single one of them and their families all live on this one road, at the end of which live the patriarchs- the Tate’s. So there was a huge birthday party for Sarah’s son Christian and her brother-in-law Felix. We grilled and ate and talked and played and it was crazy trying to get the family straight and who’s mother is who.

Relevant Cultural Tangent: With the clan structure the way it is- you also call your mother’s sisters your mother, and your father’s brothers are all your fathers. All of your cousins are called your brothers or sisters. So by the end of it you think that everyone has 6 grandmas and 17 brothers, and while that’s not entirely accurate, it’s just the way it goes. ☺
So the next night Sarah and James (pastor and wife) came over to discuss the coming week with us. It was a hard meeting. James is….well….particular about how he wants things. They were very vocal about their opinions about the mission and sometimes it was hard to hear, knowing we’ve been working with them for the last 6 years. They have a lot of pride in their people and their land and made no mistake about dispelling the “white man Savior” mentality, because their church has been active and involved in helping the community for long before we came here. So we have to be sensitive to knowing that they are very autonomous in their ministry and we are here to serve alongside and lead the groups that come. We already felt that way, but it was certainly humbling to hear it from them.

Since then, things have been great. The team is from Mountain View Presbyterian Church from Scottsdale, Arizona, and the middle schoolers are some of the hardest workers I’ve ever seen! Yesterday, we were able to split into four groups and work on John Watson’s house, a home in Kayenta, a graffiti-ed water tower, and some odd jobs at the church. I went with the team to Mr.John’s house and we painted the entire exterior of the house and got to spend some good time with John and even made friends with a few of his cows! He invited us to eat our lunch inside with him, and the kids really enjoyed it. At the water tower, the group was able to cover the graffiti and is painting a beautiful mural of a sunset with some Navajo artwork. The group in Kayenta painted some rooms in a family’s home and at the church, a group built some new picnic tables and then dug a trench to lay a water line close to the outdoor kitchen where we cook! No more hauling water! Praise the Lord! On Saturday the entire group went to Tuba City to de-tag many of the city buildings and spending time with some of the Navajo that have come out to work with us.

Yesterday, I’m sure it was an interesting feeling to wake up in the same pew they would be attending church service a couple hours later. Church was great and afterward allllll the family stayed around to make the famous NAVAJO TACOS. These go on the aforementioned fry bread. Sarah declared that it was tradition for the red-headed intern to learn to make fry bread. So I was shuffled over to the fire where Ericka and Priscilla were hand molding the lumps of dough that Liz had been preparing. It was amazing being the one trailblazing white-girl out there doing it. ☺ They taught me that the thickness was vital because too thin would make it crunchy and too thick would leave it doughy on the inside. Finally, after doing about 6 or 7 and one by one dropping them into the pan of Crisco over the open fire, I asked Priscilla to inspect my most recent one and her eyes lit up! “Usually it takes a week of practice to get it right! This is perfect!!” I was so PROUD!!! :D What a treat to get to cook with them. That afternoon the team had the day off and had gone to Lake Powell, so all the teens (Navajo) decided to make a lake day too. We went to Antelope Point and swam in the frigid water, which I was thrown in viciously by sneaky boys, and basked in the sun. We didn’t get back til midnight last night, which did make for a very hectic morning, but it was well worth it.
AH! I forgot to mention- after church on Sunday, I was talking to Rachel, Sarah’s youngest sister who I guess is about 30 or so, and complimented her on her beautiful brown beaded necklace and earrings. The stones were really unique and shimmery. We were talking about jewelry and I mentioned that the one thing I would love to find is a silver hair barrette with turquoise stones in it. Well, later while I was making fry bread, she came over to me with a white box. Inside, she had placed her brown necklace and earring set as well as a silver barrette with turquoise stones. It was precisely what I had described!

Another Relevant Cultural Tangent: In Navajo culture, if someone compliments on how much they like a piece of jewelry you are wearing and shows a special love for it, it is fitting to take it off then and give it to them. (which I promise I didn’t know- my motives were clean) ☺

She was so thoughtful and giving, and even sitting here now, I am amazed at the blessing these people have been in my life already. Not just with beads and gifts, but enriching my life with meaningful relationships built on our commonalities in the Lord. Lovin’ it.

Hagoone!
Laura Marie

PS: There is a rat in our house. Maybe a mouse. I don't honestly care. But sometimes, at night, we see a blur fly across the baseboard and immediately Chris runs and gets a bowl or a mop or something ridiculous and we all stand ready to attack the thing if we see it again. We got really close a couple of times, but have not been successful. haaaaaah!

1 comment:

  1. lauraaaa, it sounds like you are having an AMAZING time!! i can't wait to hear more about it :) love you! <3 Kat

    ReplyDelete